Bell and Rogers recall Novatel MiFi 2372

Andrew Duong May 5, 2010 1

Bell and Rogers have both recalled their Novatel MiFi 2372 product. The device’s battery is prone to swelling and poses a safety hazard to consumers.

Bell customers have been given a U998 Turbo stick while they wait and any users who decide to skip the recall, their device will be deactivated. Please visit your local Bell store.

Rogers has said that it will take 7-10 business days for customers to get their MiFi back. While they haven’t provided any loan, they will instead credit your bill while the MiFi is being replaced. Any questions or comments about this issue is asked to call 1-866-511-5311.

This is Kevin Thornton with the Novatel Wireless team, below is the official statement from Novatel Wireless regarding the Bell MiFi 2372:

Novatel’s top priorities are to serve our customers and end-consumers and to provide for the safe use of our products. There have been two incidents reported from Bell and Virgin Mobile Canada, with battery overheating issues. While we can’t comment on specific consumer incidents, it has been reported that some customers have had difficulties opening the battery door thus utilizing sharp objects or excessive force to open it. While doing this, customers can inadvertently puncture the battery when trying to remove it and this can cause the battery to over-heat. To reduce the probability of user-induced damage to the battery, we have redesigned the battery door to make it easier to open.

Any product or battery issue is considered a matter of utmost importance for Novatel Wireless. Consistent with that and as a preventive measure, the Company has communicated an exchange program for Bell and Virgin Mobile Canada customers to replace the MiFi 2372 battery and battery door.

The MiFi 2200 — addressing the CDMA market — represents the majority of the MiFi units we have sold and has different design features and components, hence, it is not effected.

[Source via BGR: Rogers & Bell]

One Comment »

Leave A Response »

You must be logged in to post a comment.